Naturally, with our first baby on the way, people have been asking me if I’m almost done setting up our nursery. The answer to that question is yes, but no. We have cleared out most of our stuff from the room, except for a few items that need to remain in non-basement storage. We also added a chair rail into the room,a nd repainted….
The color I chose is tallpot palm from Sherwin Williams…. and I love it! It’s bold and fun, yet sitting in the room is calming to me and peaceful. My favorite part is that it stands out different from the rest of the house! I love our house, and the paint colors we’ve chosen! But, it’s fun to have something different, and more cool toned.
The other main project in the room itself is currently on pause…. we are redoing the built in closet slash storage area….
Previously this space had a weird gray brown trim with cream colored doors. I simply wanted to strip the paint from the trim and repaint the doors, but we quickly realized there were many, many layers of paint on the trim and Matt decided to replace the trim entirely with new. That went pretty smoothly. Then, he went to rehang the doors and soon realized that they were not even remotely square!
After some deliberation and a fair amount of research about alternate closet systems and methods, we simply decided to build new doors. Matt had been steadily working on cutting out new doors when this summer’s weather and our crazy life would allow for the extra time and energy. The plan was just to make new flush mounted doors like the space used to have, letting us reuse all the hinges and whatnot.
After much stress last week, we realized neither one of us like that plan! For Matt, it has been very frustrating to get the doors cut out just right, and he’s been fearful of trying to hang them to look seamless and professional. For me, I just didn’t like the look and would rather have doors that were surface mounted like cabinets. How on EARTH we had not communicated this to one another before last week…. seriously, it has been months where this has been the plan… is beyond me! He thought I wanted it put back like before, and I thought that he didn’t think it would structurally work to do it the other way. Oh dear! I’m just glad we figured it out before it was too late! I think we’re BOTH going to be happier and less stressed with the end result 🙂
Now, we wait. My sister moved into the spare room over the weekend and will be staying with us until she gets settled here in Des Moines. She has graciously agreed to put up with the lack of closet doors, and the green paint that doesn’t quite ‘go’ with her bedding. We will be revisiting the door sitch once we have a clear design plan, and save up a little more moola to buy material again 🙂 (side note, I’m glad that I have plenty of other projects already in mind to reuse the wood we already have)
Baby girl will be residing in the living room slash our bedroom for the time being… and I have no real clue what I’m going to do to pull her room together! Our next project is going to be to convert a dresser into a changing table, and refinish it. I finally decided on a design concept for it today, and I’m kind of excited about it 🙂 Sadly, it will probably look just a little out of place in the living room over the next few months, but I’m sure we’ll get over it.